Monday, July 23, 2018

Creating a Spotlight on Masculine Monday #65


Back in January I shared this card with you. 


It was my first attempt at creating a spotlight effect and while I wasn't really happy with it I shared it with you. I wanted to share my journey while I learn more about coloring and I wanted to invite you along with me on that journey and encourage you to try something new too. 

Well, it's been a while but that card has been in the back of my mind and I finally gave it another shot.
I was watching a tutorial by Sandy Allnock about creating a spotlight with watercolors and thought I would give it a try. You can watch her tutorial HEREShe is amazingly talented!


This is my first attempt at creating a spotlight with watercoloring. As much as I am unhappy with the result I am equally happy because I did it - finally.  I showed it to my husband and he was impressed although he might have just been kind in saying that but I'm choosing to believe him lol.

The idea is you start by stamping your image onto watercolor paper. Sandy Allnock says that rough paper would be better but I didn't have any so I worked with what I had. Next you cover up the image with some masking fluid and when it's dry you can start the watercoloring process.


You start by covering all but an oval shape under the image with a blue/black color of paint and a large brush. I didn't have either so I mixed some blue and black together as I went and used a brush probably half the size I should have. I wish I took some pics of the process along the way but I was focused on the painting. 
You build up a couple of layers of paint keeping it darker towards the outer edges. Heat set this to almost dry but not completely. Tilt your card and spray some water down the center starting at the bottom so the paint thins out and runs off the top edge. This is supposed to give you a marbeling effect but I don't think I got it which could be in part to the fact that my paper was smooth.

Once you do that, dry it again and then build up the color on the outer edges for contrast. Once it was all dry I removed the masking fluid with an eraser and then watercolored the image in.

Be sure to check out Sandy's video tutorial to see how it should look.

Okay, so I realize I sound a little negative in this post. I sometimes tend to focus on what went wrong instead of what went right but in this instance it's good to note where you can improve.
I'm not an artist and I don't pretend to be one. I'm having fun learning new skills and sharing that journey with you and I hope I'm encouraging you to try things that are out of your comfort zone too because it's fun!

I throughly enjoyed the whole process of making this card and will try it again soon with a different image. Hopefully I'll have improved some by then lol.



Happy Stampin'
and thanks so much for visiting!


shopping list:
stamps: Stoked (Avery Elle)
ink: midnight (CP Designs)
paper: watercolor coldpress 140lb (Canson), whisper white thick (SU)
accessories: watercolor paints (Kuretake)

No comments:

Post a Comment