Watercolor Grunge

I really love the watercolor technique and how it
looks on a card. I decided to take the watercolor look and
combine it with a bit of grunge. I had no plan whatsoever
when I started this card - but - I love how
it turned out!


I started with watercolor paper and the greeting. My first thought
was to try and use grays and blues - and then add some silver
stars I received a while back as a gift. Let's just say that
gray is not the best for watercolor. I thought this was going to 
end up in the trash so I decided to play with it and this is
when I decided to 'grunge it up' a bit.


I took some strawberry slush and went over top of the original
smoky slate color and then added some early espresso on the right.
I'm kinda likin' it now. The lace flowers were sitting on my 
craft table so I grabbed a few of those and added them in 
the middle to cover up the basic gray that was there. If you
look closely you can see a little bit of it peeking out from under
the flowers. Also on my craft table, just waiting to be used was
the washi tape. I added a strip of that with the arrow pointing 
to the flowers - perfect because I love those flowers.



At this point, this was still a card that was never going to be
shared with anyone but I was having fun. I added the
greeting in stazon ink, stamped and cut out a few stars. I 
added those with dimensionals but I thought it still needed 
something else. The Gorgeous Grunge stamp set of course!!
A few 'splatters' with some strawberry slush and some
crumb cake and I was done!

I was also completely
surprised at the results. From a card that I thought was 
definitely going into the trash to one that I can honestly say
'LOVE IT!' (just like the tape says).
My daughter and my husband both agreed too.

What do you think of watercolor grunge?

supplies:
card stock: watercolor paper, basic black, crumb cake
stamp set: gorgeous grunge, rock star (inkadinkad),
        words to live by (fresh squeezed stamps)
ink: strawberry slush, early espresso, crumb cake
embellishments: washi tape (?), flowers (retired)

Happy Stampin'
and thanks for visiting!

Comments

Mrs A. said…
I'm liking it too. Very grunge tastic! Hugs Mrs A.
Shea said…
Love everything about this, Susan - the colors, the layout, the accents, and I especially love your use of washi tape! I've never been able to use it to my satisfaction and how you placed yours is BRILLIANT! You've inspired me to give it another try!
Heather North said…
I think you may be on to something wonderful here! So glad you didn't trash this work of art before it became a showpiece.
Unknown said…
Wow your creative mojo is in overdrive girl!!! This card is amazing love everything you did you rock girl ♥
Susan Powell said…
Ladies - thank you for your wonderful comments :) they warm my heart and put a smile on my face :)